25 February, 2009

markets

After three weeks of bemoaning the fact that I was unable to go to the market in Antigua, as I did not desire to drive there, another CAM missionary, teacher at CAG, and friend, was kind enough to show me one right by my house! I am sad at the wasted time of buying at Piaz (the local Wal-mart) produce instead of fresh market foods, but there is nothing to be done except use my new knowledge! I was so delighted to find this small, indoor, market which was stocked with ample fruits and vegetables that I didn't barter this first time around, being too overcome with joy in simply being there and the much lower prices. I did find two very interesting finds along with my normal purchases, 1. yams (which up till now my family thought did not exists in Guatemala) and 2. mora- blackberries! perfect and waiting to be made into a yummy dessert.
I personally love to eat blackberries with fresh cream or frozen yogurt (from Passion Berri) but here they have to be washed first if they aren't going to be cooked, and that gets sort of messy. So I resorted to the timeless and wonderful blackberry pie with a flaky butter crust. Katie has become the resident pastry chief (making all the crusts for my various projects) and obliged me again in this project. Here are a few shots.


It turned out wonderful, sweet and juicy, warm and delicious.

4 comments:

  1. Way to give up desserts for Lent, loserhead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you found a closer market! I too found the blackberries intoxicating when I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're just too creative!! I love reading your posts and hearing about your fun stories with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are the absolute BEST and I get to see you and hug you TOMORROW. CAN'T WAIT

    ReplyDelete