20 February, 2009

Summer in January ?

It is hot today in Guatemala, it has been for the past two days. It feels like summer when I wake up, I am hot and blow-drying my hair is the last thing I want to do. It usually ends up in a single braid down my back, which, Katie informed me, is very unfashionable. All I wanted to wear this morning was a cool skirt and a tank top, thanks to a little help from the closets of Mother and Laura =D I found it. As I took the kids to school it felt like a perfect "last day of school" day. You know, that day that you can't sit still in your seat because in a few hours all the outdoors will be yours for three months! Those days when you want to run barefoot in the grass, jump on the trampoline, and play bicycle tag through the neighborhood, and make trips to QT to fill up your 32 oz. slushy cup. That's what it feels like, and its January!
In honour of the weather two nights ago I made, what is in my mind, the most classic summer dessert. Strawberry Shortcake. (Upon hearing this Lydia asked if a picture of Strawberry Shortcake was going to be on a cake-ha!) It was sublime. Fresh strawberries sweetened with a light dusting of sugar, home-made shortcake (not angel food or pound but the real shortcake), and freshly made whipped cream. We finished it in one night, with large help from David and Katie! Here are some pictures...

Here is the delightfully easy recipe for the shortcake (I think the rest is pretty self explanitory!)
2 c. flour
2 T. sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
sift all together in a bowl,

cut in
1/2 c. butter
until it resembles course crumbs...like making any other pastry

Mix
1 beaten egg
2/3 c. light cream
Add: to the crumb mixture

bake at 450 for 15 min. in a slightly greesed round cake pan.
let cool 5 min. before cuting in half. butter the bottom layer then pile on the strawberries and whipped cream!

3 comments:

  1. I love hearing your thoughts, my Wabbit.
    You are sublime.
    And I can't wait until we can enjoy the warmth of summer in each other's embrace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. January? Are you a month behind in Guatemala?? haha. This made me happy though. Love you, Claws! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete