18 February, 2009

a new book



I love the smell of an old musty book, I love the sound of the cracking spine and shifting pages, I love the sight of old cover designs, and the feeling of a new, old, book.
I found this book thrown in the pile of several others in Antigua. The book in and of itself carried not the interest of the beautiful cover. Upon seeing it I though of Mom, how she loves cardinals, and how she loves them because of her mother. I knew she would love the looks of this and so that made me love it. Not only that but I had heard of these books a lot, so I though I should have one. Only to add to the grandeur of this Q5 purchase, I opened the book in the middle and low and behold what character should be waiting for me but one name Caroline! I knew I had to have this book. So I made the extravagant purchase. (For those of you who don't know 1 U.S. dollar equals about 7.7 Q [Quetzales] so this purchase was about 75 cents.)
All of the kids in the car stole my book wanting to smell the beautiful odor, I finally got it back and made it home. Once home and after taping pages, and photographing the book, I opened it eager to find out the story of Caroline. So far I love it, the opening scene has young Caroline sitting on the sea shore with the cold wind whipping her two braids around her face as she waits for her father to come back from sea. We will see if the whole story can keep up with its fascinating purchase and opening.

1 comment:

  1. Any book with Caroline as the protagonist is off to a GREAT start! :)

    ReplyDelete