02 September, 2010

Spain!

So I am finally here in Spain. I have been long anticipating my semester abroad and am so excited it is finally upon me! I will update as frequently as I can but I'm not promising anything- too much to see and do!
These are some notes I have taken so far. *Disclaimer- I am an ignorant American trying to learn about a new culture- please forgive me for any comments which you know to be wrong. Let me know and I will change what I can!
Tuesday Aug 31
I am here safe. I have spent my first night in Sevilla. It is 5:00 here (still early afternoon here.) My travels all went well smooth connections, etc. I got a bit lost on my way to the actual apartment but found it in the end. My señora is great- very very kind. I am still very tired with the time change etc. but I am adjusting. The food is really good "y muy sano," very healthy, as my señora  says. The other two girls from my school have arrived to the house so that is fun. Orientation starts tomorrow morning and is the next morning as well. I am excited to get started. The accent is hard to catch on to- I have been practicing "graTHias" instead of "graCias" all day! Its very hot here, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I hope I get used to the lay out of the city soon, I don't like feeling lost- but it's all part of the adventure right!?

Other observations:
Though the language here is Spanish it is such a different world from Guatemala and central America (duh!). I can see is a lot of Arabic influence in Spain, I can hear traces of Arabic in the Spanish accent, taste it in the food, and see it in the architecture. Of course the European influence can be seen too, hair, dress, physical appearance. I am excited to get to wander around on the streets some and observe things, once I get over jet-lag that is!
 I am extremely pleased with my señora. In the past I have heard that students have had problems getting used to their señora, but not so with mine! She is a widow and though a small woman in stature is very full of life and energetic. I walked with her to get bread, watched as she prepared dinner, and she showed me the photos of her children's weddings. She loves to talk and tell me things, about culture, her political views, anything really. She walked Amber, Margo, and I to the school to make sure we din't get lost, and showed me very carefully (including practice time) how to lock and unlock the doors.
I was a little worried about the food, but so far it has been great! Yummy salads, chicken, etc. She does eat a lot of seafood, white fish and shrimp, so I am going to do my best to adjust to that. She said I can tell her if I don't like something, but I want to give everything a try. Yesterday for lunch she gave me a tasty red drink, I late found out was wine mixed with club soda! Since then I have suck with "agua por favor." haha!
Since I was so tired yesterday we just mostly watched tv. It was good  listening to Spanish, getting more familiar with the accent.
Okay, I think that's all for now.

Wednesday Sept 1

Well yesterday Margo, Amber, and I walked around a little bit- but we hope to do so more today. We sat by the river and the plaza de oro (which apparently Columbus stored his gold from the "new world.") It is really pleasant outside when there is a breeze. I didn't sleep well at all last night but I think my body is still just getting used to everything. We had orientation this morning, talking about safety, living with our senora etc. It was okay but just a lot of information (a lot of which anyone who had traveled knew, but a good reminder I guess) Tomorrow we sign up for classes!
Dinner was wonderful tonight. Isabel, my señora, told us about her family history and about life as a Sevillian.

I'm sure most these notes are incoherent. I hope I will return to normal soon and my posts will be more interesting!

2 comments:

  1. Change the colors of your blog! We can't read anything. ) :

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! We love hearing about your experiences! I remember being so shocked at the difference between Spain and my previous exposure to Spanish in the states and central america. You are smart not to promise too much blogging. You are going to be busy LIVING. :) I'm lucky enough to catch you for a day or two upon your return, so I know I'll get to hear about it! BTW, I couldn't really find your roomies pictures on facebook... Maybe you could tell me their names so I could be come their friends (just for the semester).

    ReplyDelete