13 September, 2010

Càdiz


Saturday I took a day trip to Càdiz, the oldest city on the Iberian Peninsula—over 3,000 years!  It is about 2 hours outside of Sevilla by train on the very southwest bit on the Atlantic. Some classmates and I took a historic walk around the city through its tiny cobbled streets. We took pictures in giant magnolia trees and finally walked along the sea wall to Victoria beach. It was a perfect day on the beach, sunny and with a light breeze. Apparently the wind can get very strong in Càdiz and cause the sand to fly everywhere, but we were blessed with a calm day. The sand was soft and warm and we were there during low tide so we had plenty of gentle water for swimming. After spending most of the day at the beach we went to the Torre Tavira which is the highest point in the city. In it we climbed many steps to the top where we saw a demonstration of the camera oscura. It was very fascinating to see the city through this picture.
 Yesterday, Sunday I made it to a church here in Sevilla called Prosperidad. It was so refreshing. I knew almost all the songs we sang (from going to church in Guate) and as I joined with the other believers in song my body shook with emotion and tears of thanksgiving filled my eyes. I had forgotten the joy and peace that come when as one body we lift our voices to worship our Lord. All the cultural differences, language barriers, and frustrations of a new country melt away when as one body we join in worship together. I think I am finally come to understand that my home is with the Lord and in His presence not in any earthly place.

2 comments:

  1. Love you Lines...glad that Church was So Refreshing!! As is should be. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Honey, Thank you so much for sharing these little tidbits of information on your exciting adventure. We are full of joy for you.

    ReplyDelete