

All semester here in Spain I have been working with two little girls at the Convento de Santa Isabel giving English lessons. The first day this was a nightmare, I was given ten minutes notice before having go out the door, and no instruction on what to do with them. Rocio (7yrs) was my student the first hour and she was sweet and made my job fairly simple. She was eager to tell me the English I knew and especially loved songs. Tania (8yrs), my second hour student, was the opposite. Though I don't know her particular background the majority of the children at the convent have very rough backgrounds with parents either passed-on, missing, unable, or unwilling to care for them. Tania was wary of new people and did her best to let me know I wasn't welcome. I just ignored her insults and did my best to make her excited about taking with me- English, Spanish, or whatever! Once she figured out she wasn't getting rid of me, she started to soften. By the end of my time I think she looked forward to our meetings. Yesterday, my final class with them, she asked if I was coming back next semester! For me that was huge progress. I was so frustrated with her at first my was screaming, "I'm here because I care about you, I just want to show you love, just accept it! Accept my help! I'm not leaving just because you act nasty to me!" When reflecting on this situation, and writing out some of my frustrations I realized, I am the same. I reject the Father's love, help, forgiveness, and compassion continually. I try to "be good enough" for him, worried that if I am "too nasty" he will leave, or his love will lessen. So I put up my guard, I get sulky and mean. And
despite myself, He loves me.

Not only get I get a huge spiritual lesson out of my time there I also learned a lot of great practical information when it comes to TESOL (which is my minor). The girls learned so quickly when I used songs and pictures
a la Mrs. Betty style. I learned to use games to help reinforce the new vocab
after a period of study and quizzing over the new information. And I learned that the girls love playing with play-dough! They were willing to learn any words as long as play-dough was involved. It was really a wonderful experience for me and I believe for them as well.
I didn't know you were teaching English! Those girls are so cute. I miss you big sister!
ReplyDeleteWay to go Lines...way to be creative with your lesson plans. :)
ReplyDelete