12 November, 2010

A Holiday in England (Part 2: Chester)


Tuesday morning we took a walk in search of some lunch for our bus rides. The stores were closed so we ended up walked all the way to the next town along the River Avon. It was beautiful fall weather and our brisk walk was perfectly accompanied by the crisp breeze.
A slow drizzle greeted us as we exited the coach but no Gabi or Mrs. Dickinson. A few minutes later we discovered we hadn't talked about where to meet up! After standing in the rain for over an hour and deliberating we decided to get a taxi. We got a taxi and it pulled into a group of houses and then the taxi driver said "wait a minute I don't think this is the correct address but I don't know where the correct house is." I decided to get out and try house #9 just to check- sure enough it wasn't the Dickinson's. Getting back into the cab I, out of ideas, said we should just go to a hotel. Then the cab driver decided he might know where it was. Finally we found the house!
Mrs. Dickinson ran down the stairs to greet us and we entered the warm home. She immediately sat us down and put cups of hot tea in our hands and offered us cake. It was the quintessential English home. She heated us some chive and potato soup for dinner and we settled in at once. I was able to put my feet up on the sofa wearing only socks and relax- such a refreshment after Spain!
Mrs. Dickinson went to bed fairly soon, but not before offering us hot water bottles. The old fashioned rubber kind that hold hot water and heat your toes! I exclaimed that I had only seen them in Peter Pan and she showed us how to used them. I stayed up until 1:15 talking with Gabi and Lizzy about Uganda. My bedroom was at the top of a windy staircase and was warm and cozy.
Wednesday I awoke early with the light of the morning and pulled back the curtains to see the word I had entered in darkness. My face must have lit up with a smile because all the confusion of the night slipped away as I took in the English countryside painted with the colors of fall. We were on a wharf and the water was shimmery in the sunlight. There was a constant flow of tea our entire stay at the Dickinson's. After we were all ready for the day we loaded up in the car to a barn filled with books. Gabi was feeling a bit car-sick so we stopped and took a stroll down the lane. So beautiful, I cannot capture natures beauty and really there is no need since the poets have already done it. Sufficient to say that my spirit was refreshed and my soul nourished.
The book barn was stuffed to the gill with books. Top to bottom far and wide used books of every topic. We spent a good amount of time looking at all the books and laughing at our love for all the children's books we saw. We stopped in a craft store just for a peaking before heading home.
We had cheese on toast for lunch. This was Mrs. Dickinson's response to my request for a "typical English lunch." I was so happy and comfortable sitting at the kitchen table sipping tea and talking with her as she prepared lunch. After lunch Lizzy worked on a project she had to finish for school so I sat and chatted with Mrs. Dickinson. Knowing our love for books she pulled out some old books she said she was saving for her children. Around 4:00 Lizzy and I decided to go for a walk on the footpath along the wharf. It got dark around 5:00 there so we set out hoping for enough daylight. Our "tramp" as Lizzy called it was lovely. It was muddy and a bit breezy but refreshing. We walked and talked and enjoyed the nature. We came to and old bridge and climbed upon it before turning around to head back. We came in quite dirty and rosy cheeked.
Mrs. Dickinson made jacket potatoes (baked potatoes) with tuna and salad for dinner. It wasn't an extraordinary dinner but the ordinary-ness of it made it special. We talked and lingered, enjoying tea and cake afterwards. Sadly I don't remember what we did after dinner but I do remember that before bed Mrs. Dickinson gave me a hug, a kiss on the cheek and wished me, "Goodnight and God bless." I went to sleep full. 
Thursday, our final day in Chester, Gabi took Lizzy and I into the town of Chester since they live out of town in Waverton. She took us for our first Marks & Spencer experience where we bought Turkish Delight and hot-crossed buns for our afternoon tea. We walked around Chester visiting the stories and trying on pretty things. For dinner that night we had fish and chips! Upon request Mrs. Dickinson's gave us a detailed description of what makes the best fish and chips. Ask me about it; I'll be happy to share!
That day I was wearing my hair in a French braid and Mrs. Dickinson asked me to show her how to make one. So after dinner we had a plait party! (Plait being the British word for braid.) She was a fast learner- after two tries she was better than I, making a completely successful crown braid on my head. I told her how Jennifer used to give me crown plaits for Easter and put baby's breath in it. Oh happy memories! 
The following morning we had to leave but not before stopping to thank God for our time together and praying for one another. Lizzy and I were both terribly sad to be leaving Chester, and the generosity and kindness of the Dickinson's.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Caroline. What a happy memory that you can carry with you all of your life. Truly the beauty in the ordinary. Wish I could have shared it with you. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun. It makes a visit that much more meaningful when you stay in someone's home. :)

    ReplyDelete