04 December, 2008

writing

I have been taking an expo class this semester, Violence & the Sacred to be precise, and if I was not a bad writer before I am now. We have being reading a book by John Trimble called, "Writing with Style." Basically he wants our prose to throw out every rule and absolute you have ever learned in writing to make it "fresh, interesting a new!" This all sounds good and simple, but really is a monster. It seems everything I did that made me a fairly proficient writer before, now is incorrect and must be thrown out. While this book is an excellent read,which is highly unusual for grammar books,I am completely overwhelmed by the amount of renovation my writing style requires. For today I wish I could "sell the house as is" and try my luck with a new one. Unfortunately personal writing habits are not as easy to be rid of as a house or pet. So, instead of practicing good writing here, I am continuing in the crappy form of the usual and writing a blog.

2 comments:

  1. estoy de acuerda!!! (I hope that was correct Spanish)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm passionate about your thoughts. You should write more of them.

    ReplyDelete