Fall
is here in full swing! And as the Folopa people of Papua New Guinea
would say: I am dying with the deliciousness of this season!
Recently
in my Second Language Acquisition class we had a discussion about
growing up with the word fall or autumn.
I wish I said autumn but really in my deepest me—its just fall.
I
have been doing a few things to celebrate the season. Mostly my fall
activities are limited to food.
- Gingery Butternut Squash Soup- it is so delicious. A simple soup of Butternut squash, apples, onions, and ginger, pureed to perfection. I don't care if my friends say it looks like baby food; it is wonderful. The recipe can by found in the wonderful Simply in Season cookbook. It's worth buying.
- Pumpkin Doughnuts. Yes I know, you should never make these. I did. Twice. The recipe I used begins with “go put on your comfy pants. Yes those ones. The ones that your boyfriend/husband/girlfriend/wife/sister/brother/mailman hate, but you love because they allow you to eat cookies/cupcakes/scones/muffins/DONUTS without that terrible tightening waist band feeling.” If that is not a sign of something good about to come I don't know what is! The entire recipe is witty and does result in deliciousness. But really, what rolled in butter and cinnamon/sugar is not delicious?
- Pumpkin Scones. Okay they were really butternut squash scones, but why tell a secret no one will ever guess, and one that would probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square? These were delectable. I have made pumpkin scones before that were no good and left me with little desire to try them again. I am so glad I did. These scones were wonderful, spiced, glazed, and triangular. If you have failed once with pumpkin scones try them again, it will be worth it.
- Soups of every kind, Italian Wedding, Zuppa Toscana, Chicken and Rice, Beef Stew, Taco Soup! Seriously simple life: soup in a mug.
- Tea. Cups, pots, pitchers, mugs, fill everything with tea. Early Grey, Moroccan Mint, Irish Breakfast, Green Tea Kombucha, Blueberry. It warms the bones, it brings friendship, it comforts. Just drink tea.
Breaking away from my food obsession...I have also purchased fall plants. A rosemary bush was a must. Jen and Matt got me addicted to rosemary in pizza crust, and its just not the same without it. I also was tired of buying bunches of kale. Yesterday there was a kale plant on sale for $1.09 and I bought it. Hopefully I can manage to keep it alive to serve for more than one meal.
Mostly I am excited about Fall because it bears my favorite holiday of all: Thanksgiving. I am especially excited and thankful to be spending this Thanksgiving with my two sisters and their families on the East Coast. I have really missed having thanksgiving with my family and am so looking forward to this years. I hope we will uphold Conner tradition and go for a walk after our meal, then maybe we can fit in some good raking of the leaves and gathering of pecans, topping it all off with a round of the M&M trade off. Wouldn't our mother be proud!
In honor of the season here are some things I am thankful for:
(Papi Lepue always had us do five things, so I will)
- Variety in life: seasons, foods, colors, smells, tastes
- Technology that keeps me connected with my family though we are scattered across North America
- My apartment and kitchen in which I can create dishes to fill my body while worshiping the Creator who fills my soul. Don't you think it is marvelous that we eat and pray with the same appendage?
- The privilege and provisions to attend university and spend four years devoted to learning.
- Relationships. I am thankful we are relational people, who love, and fight, and sing, and learn, and eat, and live: together.
Carolina! I just got logged on today (first time in a really long time) because i wanted to do a thanksgiving post then i saw yours! It made me so happy. :) i miss you!
ReplyDelete