- Baking Soda: She only had baking powder and said that is all there is here in Spain, so I just put 2x as much in and its seemed to be okay.
- Brown Sugar: Guate had prepared me for this one. Instead of b.sugar there is a strange dark sugar I can't even describe. I settled for this as well.
- Vanilla: Much to my dismay there is no liquid vanilla extract as we know it here in Spain. They use a powdered or sugared vanilla made with artificial vanilla flavor! Yes, I ran to several stores to double check and called someone from the school to triple check. 'Tis the sad, sad truth.
But back to the cookies. The family left for the park so I began to mix up the batter without any measuring cups or spoons (Julia Child would not approve) and with Isabel at my side watching and fussing. She wanted me to bake them in the little convection oven and turned it on herself. After the first batch was in for about 3 minutes I smelt burning cookies. I ran to the oven only to see she had set the cookies at the top of the confection oven set to 200 degrees C and only heating from the top!
By this time the family had returned and we were all crammed in the tiny kitchen. The oldest son was laughing saying we needed to call the bomberos, firefighters, to which the daughter replied with the "universal firefighter sound." Finally things were calmed down, I adjusted the oven to my liking when no one was looking and made the rest of the batter into blondies.
My roommates were extremely kind assuring me they tasted wonderful and, considering the long journey and many hardships they face, really they weren't all that bad. Chocolate chip cookies- not as easy as 1-2-3 in Spain!
Valliant Effort Lines. Anything with any kind of sugar can't turn out so so bad right??
ReplyDeleteHmm. This made me laugh. Maybe we need to send you a package with some ingredients in it. :)
ReplyDelete