18 September, 2009

our God is so unique!

I have such and exciting course schedule this semester, at first I was worried about all the homework- but it has been working out so perfectly!
Here are my best courses
Western Civ. through 1600
World Lit. through 1640
Medieval Literature
OT Survey
It is so amazing studying all of these same time periods in different subjects! (Yes I know Medieval Lit. isn't exactly the same time period but it still ends up fitting in somehow.) Everyday I learn something in one class that perfectly corresponds to my other classes. Every class adds to my knowledge of not only its own subject but my other subjects as well. For example, learning about the ancient Mesopotamian gods then reading literature about them enhances both the reading and the cultural studies. Then as I turn to Genesis one, I see how this is not just the Bible but a beautiful piece of literature full of flavors from the time. Then I get to learn about the Greek gods and read their literature. My Medieval class has focused a lot on the history of writing, oral tradition, etc., etc., fitting perfectly as we read so many legends passed down by oral tradition.
Anyways all this was just to say that 1) my schedule is awesome and 2) learning about these ancient cultures and their gods has given me a completely new appreciation for our GOD.
Our God is not at all fickle, He doesn't toy with us, He does have complete control, He is good, He cares about us.
All these things I already knew. But as I read about and study these ancient cultures I am struck by how the people were governed by their fear of the gods. Every aspect of their lives and cultures were dictated according to their belief of the gods. What misery they lived under believing in temperamental and angry gods with limited power. What beauty we live under with the omniscient, loving, unchanging God!

When I used to pray, "God I thank you for being ____" I never really understood why I needed to say that. "Like God would be anything else," I thought. But this morning as I thanked God for being abundant and loving I saw what a great contrast our God is compared to the "gods" of this world- our God is different and truly amazing. It is worth remembering, saying, and praising Him for His oh-so-unique character!

1 comment: