07 August, 2009

"Mastering the Art of French Cooking"

Yesterday I went to Borders with a 40% off coupon and hopes to purchase one of the two Mastering the Art of French Cooking Cookbooks by Julia Child (notice no "s" at the end of Child). I ended up with both volumes for only $13!!!
I took them to the park at once and started devouring its pages. What the proper ingredients are, how to properly hold my knife, what pots to use for what, and how to clarify butter!
In the absence of my lovely sister Laura, (my most faithful Sous Chef enduring all my whims and disasters) Laura Bartlet was kind enough to indulge me and cook with me last night.
We made suprêmes de volaille à brun (chicken breasts sauteed in butter) with tomates à la provençale (tomatoes stuffed with breadcrumbs, herbs, and garlic).
May I just say it was the best chicken I think I have ever had! I was really scared making it, the recipe says, "When the butter begins to deepen in color very slightly, put in the
suprêmes...After 3 minutes turn over and saute on the other side for two minutes."
I am a firm believer in fully cooked meats- only 5 minutes for chicken?!!! I repeated these thoughts to Laura and she looked at me and said,
"who told you to do that?"
"...Julia" I said.
Laura was right- who am I to question Julia Child??? And of course- she was right! The chicken was perfect. Perfectly cooked but still sooo jucy and tender. Completely perfect. Even the left overs today were perfect. Every bite delectable with a crispy crust perfectly flavored.
Laura took care of the stuffed tomatoes while I did the chicken and those were amazing as well. I had to convince Laura to even do the tomatoes (she generally doesn't like them) and she loved them even more than me!
So here is to -----
new cookbooks
Julia Child
fresh ingredients
cooking with friends
and delicious food!


P.S. There is a fabulous looking chocolate cake recipe that is calling my name....

2 comments:

  1. wow! Are you going to work your way through the book? And are you going to bring some of that delicious chicken/tomatoes down to OU this year? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love my girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete